ASP.NET MVC – Pagination View User Control

Each website, content management system, blog and so on need "pagination". A never ending site with "foo-entries" is not very professional. Thats why i created for my ASP.NET MVC sample (a kigg / dotnetnuke similar page) a specific"Pagination View User Control"

In almost every "List" View I implemented my control:

image

image

The advantages of such an control:

- look and feel is on each page the same
- changes are very easy to implement

In my sampel I use this CSS design.

Structure

image

A typical MVC View User Control

Code

Pagination.ascx

<%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="Pagination.ascx.cs" Inherits="Mvc2.Views.Shared.Pagination" %>
<ul class="pagination-clean">
    <% if (ViewData.HasPreviousPage)
        { %>
          <li class="previous"><a href="<%=ViewData.PageActionLink.Replace("%7Bpage%7D", (ViewData.PageIndex - 1).ToString())%>">« Previous</a></li>
     <% }
       else
        { %>
          <li class="previous-off">« Previous</li>
     <% } %>

<%for (int page = 1; page <= ViewData.TotalPages; page++)
        {
        if (page == ViewData.PageIndex)
            { %>
              <li class="active"><%=page.ToString()%></li>
         <% }
        else
            { %>
              <li><a href="<%=ViewData.PageActionLink.Replace("%7Bpage%7D", page.ToString())%>"><%=page.ToString()%></a></li>
         <% }

if (ViewData.HasNextPage)
            { %>
              <li class="next"><a href="<%=ViewData.PageActionLink.Replace("%7Bpage%7D", (ViewData.PageIndex + 1).ToString())%>">Next »</a></li>
         <% }

get
                return (PageIndex > 1);

public bool HasNextPage
            get
                return (PageIndex * PageSize) <= TotalCount;
    }

public partial class Pagination : System.Web.Mvc.ViewUserControl<PaginationViewData>
        public Pagination()

}

The ViewData is strongly typed by the PaginationViewData class.

How to use – Helper "PagedList"

It is very easy to use, if you are already use the PageList class:

using System;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts;
using System.Xml.Linq;
using System.Collections.Generic;

namespace Mvc2.Helpers
    public class PagedList<T> : List<T>
    {
        public PagedList(IQueryable<T> source, int index, int pageSize)
            this.TotalCount = source.Count();
            this.PageSize = pageSize;
            this.PageIndex = index;
            this.AddRange(source.Skip((index - 1) * pageSize).Take(pageSize).ToList());

int pageResult = 0;
            for (int counter = 1; pageResult < this.TotalCount; counter++)
                pageResult = counter * this.PageSize;

return (PageIndex > 1);

public bool HasNextPage
            get
                return (PageIndex * PageSize) <= TotalCount;

public static class Pagination
    {
        public static PagedList<T> ToPagedList<T>(this IQueryable<T> source, int index, int pageSize)
            return new PagedList<T>(source, index, pageSize);
        }

public static PagedList<T> ToPagedList<T>(this IQueryable<T> source, int index)
            return new PagedList<T>(source, index, 10);
}

The original code wrote Rob Conery – in my version is the first page the number 1, not 0 – a user could confused by the link to page number 0 ;)

How to use- in the view page

I render the control by using the in-build "Html.RenderUserControl" helper:

<%=Html.RenderUserControl("~/Views/Shared/Pagination.ascx", new Mvc2.Views.Shared.PaginationViewData()
          PageIndex = ViewData.EntryList.PageIndex,
          TotalPages = ViewData.EntryList.TotalPages,
          PageActionLink = Url.Action("List","Entry", new { category = ViewData.Category, page = "{page}"}),
          TotalCount = ViewData.EntryList.TotalCount,
          PageSize = ViewData.EntryList.PageSize
      }, null)%>

The properties of the control and of the PagedList are almost the same – only the "PageActionLink" is a specific property. The "PageActionLink" is the action Link to your controller – "/Management/Tag/2" route to your "Management"-Controller and "Tag"-ActionMethod with the page parameter. The "page = {page}" parameter is only a template for the real page number, which will be replaced in my control:

The URL helper method encode the { and } to %7B and %7D. I can´t explain it very well in english – one quick look in the source code (pagination.ascx) is very helpful ;)

Feel free to use it.

PS: English blogging is hard :/ ;)

About the author

Written by

Currently there is no additional info about this author.

44 Responses

1. Nice work, Robert. This is something I (and I’m sure many other MVC developers) will use often.

Oh, and your English was fine. =)

2. Oh, and on another note, coincidentally I have made the same changes to Rob’s PagedList class as you have, but I think this is a bit better of a calculation for TotalPages:

(excuse the formatting please)

if( this.TotalCount > 0 )
    {
    this.TotalPages = (int)Math.Ceiling( (double)this.TotalCount / (double)this.PageSize );
    else
    this.TotalPages = 0;
    }

3. Can you post your controller code to complete this blog post so we can see how you are interacting with that. Sure, I can “imagine” sort of what you’re doing such as adding a page param in your action like you said, and imagine up your controller based on your route but would like to see the actual action, so I have a little more clear context.

Would be a big help.

4. Just wanted to say thanks – I’m new to MVC and this was a great help for paging! Cheers! :)

5. The controller code:
    You just have to pass a PagedList to your Viewdata like that:
    ListViewData list = new ListViewData();
    list.EntryList = EntryManager.LoadEntryCollectionByCategory(category).ToPagedList(page ?? 1);

Hope this helps :)

6. I think that when you changed your page numbers to have a base of one rather than zero you need to change HasNextPage to be
    get { return (PageIndex * PageSize) < TotalCount; }

Eg change <= to <

7. I’m trying with MVC Preview 3 but at the view form the system do not find ViewData.EntryList. Where is it?

8. You need a strongly typed ViewData class – EntryList is just a sample property in this ViewDataClass.
    Here is a nice blogpost about strongly typed ViewData classes:

9. Hi there, great code!!! Just want to address one small issue, when pages exceeds the default total page and next is clicked, it won’t show the next set of pages.

Here is what I did. Hope if someone else has the same problem can make use of it.

public int StartIndex
    get
    {
    if (PageIndex > TotalPages)
    return PageIndex – (PageIndex % TotalPages) + 1;
    else
    return 1;
    }

and then, change the for loop to
    for (int page = ViewData.Model.StartIndex; page <= (ViewData.Model.StartIndex + ViewData.Model.TotalPages – 1); page++)

If it is still not cleared. Email me royheh@comcast.net

10. Nice Blog. :)

11. Hi, I’m having a hard time trying to find the RenderUserControl function.

It’s not in HtmlHelper class

Cheers

12. The “RenderUserControl” was in the Beta 3 days – maybe it has be renamed or you can find it in the MVCFuture bits (download @ codeplex.com/aspnet ).

13. I finally found the solution. It’s called RenderPartial now. It takes the control name and ViewData as arguments.

Thanks for answering!

Gonzalo

14. PagedList can use IEnumerable instead of IQueryable (more generic). Cheers!!

15. Nevermind, I see the benefit of having an IQueryable ctor, but IEnumerable is still a good option to have ;-)

16. Love the advice. Thank you.

17. Hello, I have a question about what my view page should inherit from. Im getting the following error:
    Parser Error Message: ‘Mvc2.Views.Shared.Pagination’ is not allowed here because it does not extend class ‘System.Web.Mvc.ViewPage’.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ Page Title="List Checkups" Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/Views/Shared/Site.Master" Inherits="Mvc2.Views.Shared.Pagination" %>
    Line 2:
    Line 3: <asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="TitleContent" runat="server">

Is there something I am leaving out? Ive added the Inherits=”Mvc2.Views.Shared.Pagination” At the top of my page, yet I still get this error. I am new to MVC. I would really like to get this working. Thanks for any help!

18. can anybody post the sample downloadble code for testing? please?
    thanks.

19. please … link a downloadble example thanks

20. Hello,

This is very useful stuff.

Thanks.

21. I’m very new to mvc.  do you have a “test” solution that you can post? thanks!

22. hello,

i m not getting the viewdata on the user control,please tell me from where can I get this,but the post is good

23. Everybody for me source sample of this topic?
    I very need source sample.
    Email: tavtho@gmail.com
    please?
    thank!!!

24. Leiber Robert – Vielen Dank fuer deine Poste! Jawohl ist Blogging auf Englisch sehr schwer!

25. Leaning ASP.NET MVC 2. Will appreciate if you post a link of working solution for download.

26. I wrote a free asp.net mvc paging component called MvcPager,it support both basic url paging and Ajax paging using jQuery or MicrosoftAjax script library,you can view online demo and download a copy from http://en.webdiyer.com .

27. Thank you, I will be using this in my next project :)
    Vielen Dank und gruss aus Israel
    Moshe

28. I wrote a free asp.net mvc paging component called MvcPager,it has more features and support Ajax paging using MicrosoftAjax or jQuery script library,you can view online demo and download it from http://en.webdiyer.com/mvcpager

29. I’m learning mvc, it very nice tutorial, thanks!

30. I dont understand how it works in controller.
    Can you please explain what you meen with:

ListViewData list = new ListViewData();

Thanks a lot and take care,
    Ragims

31. Hi Robert,
    please share your code !

32. Don’t forget the css please , some people will like to have the css too.
    But this is great stuff by the way ;).

33. Do you send for me example code ? Thanks you

34. You have hit the mark. In it something is also to me your idea is

pleasant. I suggest to take out for the general discussion.

35. Thank you I’m new to MVC and this was a great help for paging . I have a problem when I try to realize a sample program. It like this:

Compilation Error

Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS0570: ‘System.Web.Mvc.UserControlExtensions.RenderUserControl()’ is not supported by the language

Source Error:

Line 9:
    Line 10:
    Line 11: <%=Html.RenderUserControl("~/Views/Shared/Pagination.ascx", new MVC2.Views.Shared.PaginationViewData() {
    Line 12: PageIndex = Model.PageIndex,
    Line 13: TotalPages = Model.ToTalPages,

Source File: c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\桌面\MVC2\MVC2\Views\My\Index.aspx Line: 11

Do you know what 's wrong with this?

Comment on this post